This position is a part of the Non-Academic Staff Association (NASA).
This position has a term length of one year plus a year and offers a comprehensive benefits package which can be viewed on our Benefits Overview page.
Location - North Campus Edmonton. This role is hybrid with a mix of remote and in-person.
Working for the University of Alberta
The University of Alberta acknowledges that we are located on Treaty 6 territory, and respects the histories, languages and cultures of First Nations, Métis, Inuit and all First Peoples of Canada, whose presence continues to enrich our vibrant community.
The University of Alberta is teeming with change makers, community builders, and world shapers who lead with purpose each and every day. We are home to more than 40,000 students in 200+ undergraduate and 500+ graduate programs, over 13,000 faculty and staff, 260,000 alumni worldwide and have been recognized as one of Canada’s Greenest Employers for over a decade.
Your work will have a meaningful influence on a fascinating cross section of people—from our students and stakeholders, to our renowned researchers and innovators who are quite literally curing diseases, making discoveries and generating solutions that make the world healthier, safer, stronger, and more just.
Working for the Department/Faculty
The Canadian VIGOUR Centre (CVC) is a leading academic research organization at the University of Alberta, committed to enhancing cardiovascular health. Our Centre provides leadership in clinical trials of cardiovascular therapies, as well as developing selected registries and informing clinical practice through insights gained from population health data. The Centre's vision is to "generate, translate and disseminate knowledge on novel diagnostic and therapeutic strategies in cardiovascular medicine acquired through collaborative research to enhance the health of citizens of Alberta, Canada, and the world."
The Administrative Assistant for the CVC reports to the Co-Director. Under minimal direction, this position is responsible and accountable for providing organization administrative management and organization for the activities of the Population Health area in the CVC.
Provides administrative support working under the general supervision of the Co-Director.
- Provides administrative support for standing and special meetings.
- Serves as recording secretary to area/ program Committees.
- Coordinates documents and agendas. Anticipates and prepares supporting materials. Distributes meeting minutes.
- Screens, directs, and processes phone, electronic and in-person queries.
- Prepares letters, emails, and other documents for the area.
- Proofreads and reformats documents.
- Creates and maintains spreadsheets and/or databases. Prepares standard and ad-hoc reports for the area. Designs and develops customized reports for specific needs.
- Maintains area records. Establishes, maintains or updates files.
- Sends out surveys or information requests. Compiles submissions for review.
- Coordinates the collection of risk waivers from staff if required.
- May manage area-specific processes or events (e.g. award submission, social event, etc.)
- Assists with the allocation of space and security.
- Ensures signage is current and accurate for the area.
- Processes and manages OneCard after-hours access.
- Communicates relevant facilities and operations information to ensure all area staff are informed of activities that may affect them.
- Drafts and/or generates routine communications based on straightforward information for supervisor review.
- Plans and schedules calendar(s) based on consultation with the Administrative/ Academic leader. Resolves calendaring conflicts.
- Makes decisions on priorities based on own understanding of the areas and emergent issues.
- Prepares briefing materials for meetings and committees.
- Coordinates travel arrangements for area staff.
- Initiates and coordinates various requests.
- Initiates purchase requisitions, purchase orders and invoices through SupplyNet. Initiates vendor payments.
- Requests Credit Cards for new staff through the Staff Service Centre as required. Performs credit card verifications and reconciliations
- Initiates travel and expense claims for leadership when required.
- Reviews individual transactions and supporting documentation for accuracy, compliance to policy and appropriate authorizations.
- Provides guidance and assists users with the initiation of routine financial transactions. Escalates issues to the Staff Service Centre or assigned Financial Partner.
- Identifies, troubleshoots, and resolves transactional issues. Corrects errors. Escalates broader, more complex issues.
- Initiates transactions in conjunction with associated finance and/or HR resources to make adjustments.
- Initiates appointments of Teaching Assistants and Graduate Research Assistants as directed.
- Assists with the administration of petty cash.
- Liaises with Facilities and Operations on behalf of the area.
- Office Administration Certificate