What do I do if I forget or want to change my Workopolis account password?
To reset your password please complete the following steps:
- Go to the sign in page by clicking on the 'Sign In' button located on the top right hand corner of the homepage.
- Under the Password field, click on the link that says 'Forgot Password?'
- Enter the email address that is associated with your Workopolis account.
- You will then receive an email asking you to verify your identity, which will also include a link to reset your password.
- Click on the link in the email to 'reset password'; this will take you back to Workopolis.
- You will now have the option to enter a new password for your account.
How can I join Workopolis using Facebook Connect?
First time Workopolis users can join Workopolis using their Facebook login details in four easy steps:
- Click on the 'Join' link.
- On the Join page select 'Join using Facebook Connect.'
- A Facebook window will pop up asking you to enter you Facebook username and password.
- You will then be asked to give Workopolis permission to authenticate using your Facebook login detail.
What is the difference between an account with Facebook Connect and a traditional Workopolis account?
The accounts are identical except that with Facebook Connect you can sign into Workopolis using your Facebook account. It is just a shortcut to creating an account or signing in.
How do I connect my Facebook sign in details to my existing Workopolis account?
- On the Sign in page to your Workopolis account, click on the 'Facebook Connect' button.
- Sign in with your Facebook email and password.
- You will then be asked to enter an existing email and password from a previous Workopolis account you have created.
Which Internet browsers are supported by Workopolis?
Workopolis is committed to offering all of our customers and users the best possible online experience and is optimized for the following browsers:
- Internet Explorer 7 and 8
- Firefox 3 and later
How do I set up a Career Alert?
There are two ways to create a Career Alert email.
From the job search results page:
1. Sign into your account, or create a Workopolis account if you do not already have one.
2. Perform a job search using one of the following tools:
- a. The 'Find Jobs' search bar at the top of the page or
b. The Advanced Search page
A pop up will appear and ask you to name your Career Alert. You will also have the option to select how often you would like this Career Alert to email you. You can edit these options at any time from you Workopolis account page.
Helpful hint: Before saving the search as a Career Alert, review the results to make sure that you are receiving the types of jobs that you are looking for. If not, refine your job search criteria before saving it.
You can also create a Career Alert from inside your Workopolis Account:
- Sign in to your account or create a Workopolis account if you do not already have one.
- On the bottom of your 'My Workopolis' page click on 'Saved Searches and Career Alerts.'
- Then click on 'Create a New Saved Search & Career Alert'
- Fill in your desired job search criteria
- Check the box that says 'Make this search a Career Alert'
- Then click 'Save & Find' to save and view the search results immediately or click 'Save & Back' to save your Career Alert and go back to your Career Alerts main page.
What do I do if my Career Alert is no longer relevant? (Workopolis members)
To modify your existing Career Alerts follow the following steps:
- Sign in to your Workopolis account.
- Click on the icon 'Saved Searches and Career Alerts.'
- Click on 'Edit' beside the title of the Career Alert that you wish to modify.
You can then pause your Career Alert or change how often jobs are emailed to you. You can also refine your job search criteria to ensure that you are receiving just the jobs that are right for you.
Our new search technology does not allow for keywords to be separated by search operators such as 'and' or 'or'. If you would like to search by multiple keywords you can filter them using the 'At least one of these words,' 'All of these words' or 'This exact phrase' fields.
You can also create separate Career Alerts for the different keywords that interest you to ensure that you are receive the most relevant job search results possible. If you continue to receive irrelevant results, try using more specific job search criteria. For example if you have 'Human resources' as a keyword in your search, then any job posting which has the words 'Human resources' will be sent to you. Putting the 'Human resources' keyword in the 'exact phrase' field or the 'Job title' field will significantly narrow down your results.
How can I edit or delete a Career Alert or a Saved Search? (Workopolis members)
Sign in to your Workopolis account and click the icon that says 'Saved Searches and Career Alerts'. This will take you to a page where you can manage your Career Alerts and Saved Searches.
On the line where each Career Alert is listed you can edit the search criteria by clicking on the green edit button. You can also delete your Career Alert by clicking on the red 'Remove' circle on the far right of the page.
How do I create Saved Search?
To create Saved Searches:
- Sign in to your Workopolis account, or create an account if you do not already have one.
- On the 'My Workopolis' main page click on 'Saved Searches and Career Alerts'.
- Click on the button 'Create a New Saved Search & Career Alert'.
- Fill in your desired job search criteria.
- Then select to 'Save & Find' or 'Save & Back' to either see your job search results or return to your Saved Searches and Career Alerts main page.
How can I see what jobs I have applied for?
To review the jobs you have applied for:
- Sign into your Workopolis account.
- Click on the icon that says 'Resumes and Cover Letters'.
- On the green title bar where your resume is listed click on the 'Applications' link.
- You will then see a list of all the jobs you have applied to on Workopolis using that resume. You can also see which cover letter was used by clicking on the 'click here' button on the far right under the 'Cover Letter' column. Note: If you applied to a job directly on the employer's website, or via email/fax, it would not be tracked by your Workopolis application list.
How do I create a cover letter on Workopolis?
To create a cover letter:
- Sign in to your Workopolis account.
- Click on the 'Resumes and Cover Letters' icon.
- Scroll down below the resume section to where it says 'My Cover Letters' and click on 'Create new Cover Letter'.
- Give the cover letter a title. This will not be seen by employers, but is for your reference only - for example: 'Customer Service Cover Letter'.
- Enter the text of your letter, and then save it by clicking on the 'Click Here' button. *Helpful hint: To preview your cover letter, wait until you have saved it and then go back to the Resume and Cover Letter page. Click on the 'Preview' button in the green title bar above where your cover letter is listed. You will see the same version of your cover letter that future employers will see.
What can I do if I didn't complete the accompanying questionnaire while applying for a job?
Unfortunately once you have applied for a job, you cannot go back and redo the questionnaire. You may wish to contact the employer to let them know you that believe your application is incomplete. Your other option would be to create a new account and re-apply to the job to get another chance at completing the questionnaire.
What happens if the job application process takes me off the Workopolis site?
Some employers use external Applicant Tracking Systems to collect applications. Workopolis isn't able to assist you with the application process for these job postings because they aren't managed by us.
If you are not sure whether or not your application went through, you may wish to contact the employer directly.
Why do I sometimes see old job postings on Workopolis?
It is the job poster/employer's responsibility to remove old or filled job ads from Workopolis. We don't know when a specific job has been filled, so Workopolis cannot delete older postings for employers.
If you are interested in an older job posting, but are not sure if the company is still actively recruiting for that position, you would need to contact the company directly. Workopolis doesn't have access to that information.
What resume privacy options do I have on Workopolis?
When you upload a resume to your Workopolis account, you have the choice of whether or not you wish to make it visible to employers. There are several different confidentiality settings that you can choose from:
Searchable: You can make your resume and your contact information fully visible to employers who have subscribed to our resume database.
Confidential: Your resume details are visible, but your name and your contact information are not. If an employer wishes to contact you, you will receive an email from Workopolis letting you know the name of the company, and you will then have the option of whether or not to release your contact information to that specific company. * Please note: This is only available for resumes created using our Resume Expert option, not Resume Basic.
Not Searchable: Your resume is stored in your Workopolis account, but it does not appear in searches of our resume database. Only you and the people that you send it to directly will have access to it.
*Helpful hint: All of these options will apply to all of the employers using Workopolis and cannot be specified to particular companies.
I receive too many results to my job searches, how can I narrow them down?
If you find you are receiving too many results to your job searches, we suggest that you use the 'Advanced Search' option located here: http://www.workopolis.com/Default.aspx?action=JobSearchMain
On the Advanced Search page, enter as much information as possible in order to get the most relevant results.
- Try using the different keyword fields such as 'The exact phrase'.
- The 'Job Title' field can also considerably fine tune your results – This field searches for exact matches only in the titles of jobs posted on Workopolis rather than in the entire text. Your job search results will automatically be sorted to display the most relevant jobs matching your criteria at the top of the list. If you would rather view your results by date, you can select that option using the 'Sort by' drop down menu at the top left of the search results list.
If you are still receiving too many results to your job search, you can further narrow them down by using the filters on the right side of the job search results page.
What is a 'Contact Request'?
- If you receive a contact request, it means that an employer is interested in you based on your confidential resume in our database. Because potential employers cannot see your name or your contact information on a confidential resume, an email is sent to you asking if you agree to be contacted by the specific company. You have the option of saying yes or no.
* Please note: If you say 'no', that company will be unable to contact you for future opportunities.
How do I edit my salary expectations?
To edit your salary information:
- Sign in to your Workopolis account
- On the 'My Workopolis' page click on the 'Resumes and Cover Letters' icon
- Select the resume you wish to edit
- Scroll to the 'Job Preferences' sections
- Edit your salary expectations
- Click the 'Done' button
What if I have problems uploading my resume to Workopolis?
- When you post your resume on Workopolis, the simpler your document is formatted, the better it will display online. Simply formatted MS Word documents or Notepad files are the easiest to work with. We do not currently support .pdf files.
When you upload your resume, our system will scan the file and convert your information into the Workopolis format. This is why when you preview your resume, it appears slightly different from the version you uploaded.
When you preview your resume, you are seeing it as potential employers will see it. During the uploading process the system may change the formatting or the order of your resume content. Just click on the 'edit' button to make any changes you need so that you are happy with the final version.
If you are having difficulties getting your resume to upload, try using our Resume Expert option to create your online resume.
You can store up to ten resumes in your Workopolis account.
How do I search for a job on Workopolis?
To search for jobs, it is best to use the advanced search feature. The 'Advanced Search' option can be found under the 'Find a Job' tab then select.
- Keywords – All of these words: With this option, the Workopolis search engine will search the entire text of job postings for the words you have entered. You will receive jobs that contain all of the keywords you selected.
- Keywords – At least one of these words: When entering keywords in this box the search engine will search the entire text of job postings for the words you chosen. Your results will include jobs that contain some or all of the words that you have entered. If you entered three keywords but only one appears in a job post, it will still appear in your search results.
- Keywords – The exact phrase: When you use this option, the search engine will search the entire body of job postings for the words you have entered in exactly the order that you typed them. For example, if you put in 'customer service manager' you would only receive job postings that use those words in that order. If a job posting contains 'manager of customer service,' it would not be displayed in your results.
- Keywords – None of these words: When entering keywords in this box the search function will search the entire text of job postings for the words you have selected and exclude jobs containing them from your results. For example if you were looking for a customer service job, but you are not bilingual, you could put the word 'bilingual' in this field, and any posts containing that word would not come up in your results.
- Location – This field is to specify where you would like to work. Start filling in your location (city, province or country) and it will auto-populate. You can add multiple locations by clicking on the green plus sign. To include areas surrounding your location check off the box that says 'Also include nearby cities/regions'.
- Category – This field can be selected if you want jobs only within certain employment categories, such as 'Agriculture' or 'Financial'. To add multiple categories just click on the green plus sign.
- Job title – This field will only search the titles of job postings. It is great to use if you know the specific job title of the position that you are looking for such as 'Administrative Assistant' or 'Technical Writer'. You can click on the green plus sign to search for multiple job titles at once.
- Company – This field can be used when you know exactly which company you want to work for such as 'Kellogg Canada' or 'Rogers Wireless'. To search for multiple companies, just click on the green plus sign.
- Date posted – Use this field to search for jobs by the specific date they were posted. Search options include 'Any date', 'Today' and 'In the past three days'. You also have the option of searching by a specific date range.
- Job Details (Filters on the right side of the Advanced Search page) – These are extra options that you can use to fine-tune your job search including details such as 'Full time,' 'Part time,' 'Contract' or Internship'. All of these fields are optional which means you can fill out as much or as little as you want.
On the Advanced Search page, the more fields you fill in, the more refined and customized your results will be. By altering your search criteria, you can broaden or narrow your search as desired. (You can also do this right from the job search results page.)
There are numerous fields that you can search by:
How do I protect myself from online fraud or scams?
- Please visit our Security Centre for detailed information on how to protect your personal information online.